Saturday, September 7, 2013

Greek Theme, Part 3: Lemon Olive Roast Chicken

Continuing on with my recent Greek theme...

So far, all I've posted were the appetizers. Honestly, you could make a whole meal off of the appetizers. I brought the leftover Greek dips to work with me and my staff raved about it. But, Miss T and I also fixed a wonderful main dish, Lemon Olive Roast Chicken. So tasty! The chicken is moist and flavorful, tasting of lemon, time, and garlic. The pan drippings taste fabulous over rice. Served with a green salad topped with tomatoes, cucumber, olives and feta this would make a perfect family Sunday night meal.
LEMON OLIVE ROAST CHICKEN
INGREDIENTS

1 whole chicken cut up
1/2 c Greek olives, I used a mixture of black and green
1 lemon, sliced
8-10 garlic cloves, cut in half

1/2 c white wine
2 T lemon juice
1/4 c olive oil
Fresh thyme sprigs
Salt and pepper to taste

1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) Rinse chicken and pat dry. Place in a roasting pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides. (I had trouble getting my chicken to brown. It may be a good idea or brown the outside in a pan before placing in the roasting pan. I'll have to try that next time myself.)
3) Lay sliced lemon over chicken. Scatter
olives throughout the pan. 
4) Pour white wine and lemon juice into bottom of pan. Drizzle olive oil over top of chicken. Lay thyme sprigs over top of chicken.
5) Place chicken in 375 degree oven. Bake for 35-45 minutes, until a meat thermometer read 165 degrees when stuck into the thickest piece of chicken. Let cool for 10
minutes before serving.
6) Serve over rice or couscous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment